About the AHSS
The Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland is concerned with the protection, preservation, study and appreciation of Scotland’s buildings. We have about 1000 members throughout Scotland and beyond, and six regional groups organising local activities and carrying out casework.
The Society originated from a group formed in 1956 to respond to the threatened demolition of Edinburgh's George Square. It became the Scottish Georgian Society in 1959, and the present name was adopted in 1984 to reflect the broader scope of the Society's activities. A more detailed history of the Society is available to download here.
Management of the Society is by an elected Council, and it is administered by its staff members, with guidance from its President and Vice Presidents, Honorary Solicitor and Treasurer. In 1992 the Society introduced the honorary position of Fellow, for those who have served the objects of the society with distinction.
In 1991 the Society moved to new headquarters at the Glasite Meeting House, in Edinburgh's New Town. The Society has moved to a new location as of 1 October 2012 - Riddle's Court. Riddle's Court is an A-listed 16th Century courtyard house set behind the Royal Mile close to Edinburgh Castle. The property contains significant architectural features documenting its 400 year history including a rare late 16th Century painted beam ceiling, an early 17th Century plaster ceiling and a late 19th Century ceiling by TK Bonnar. To learn more about Riddle's Court, click here.