North East Fife Study Day
A wonderful opportunity to visit the restored Cupar Burgh Chambers and Kinloch House!
Venue: Meet Cupar Burgh Chambers, 5 St Catherine St, Cupar KY15 4LS
Cost: £10 excl. lunch at Molly’s Kitchen
Our North Fife Study Day will be led by Peter Davidson and will include a visit to the restored Cupar Burgh Chambers; lunch at Molly’s Kitchen and a visit to the B-listed Kinloch House in Collessie to see the changes since our last visit.
The former Burgh Chambers was designed in 1815-18 by Robert Hutchison and has a three-storey bow corner forming the west end of the grand neo-classical terrace of St Catherine Street. Changes in local government meant that it had become disused and so it has been converted into a high quality holiday let apartment as part of Fife Historic Buildings Trust’s Cupar Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme and Townscape Heritage Initiative programme funded by Historic Environment Scotland and the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
The Group held its 2012 AGM in the Lorimer dining room at Kinloch House, being privileged to see over Kinloch, prior to any significant work starting. Kinloch had previously been in institutional use and a scheme of restoration and alteration was programmed. Simon Green had provided us with an account of the house’s architectural development, illustrated by early photographs and to the drawings of both Charles Kinnear, who had adapted the 1691 original house for his brother in 1859, and Robert Lorimer, who reorganised the principal floor in 1921, from the NMRS collection. The owners have invited us back to show us how work has progressed.