Tour of Historic Kirkcaldy

Tour of Historic Kirkcaldy

Euan McCulloch will lead a walk, focusing on aspects of the town’s industrial and trading past.

We will look at fragments from Kirkcaldy’s manufacture of flooring and other textiles, including James Miller’s 1939 head office for Nairns (now flats) and the former canvas works by the harbour (most recently part of Fife College’s Priory Campus but now in the hands of a developer). Current manufacturing is still in evidence at the harbourside, with Carrs’ shiny new flour mill. We will stop to look inside Law’s Close, a 16th Century merchant’s house conserved and adapted (for mixed business and community use) by the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust. The various other building types of a burgeoning commercial town will also feature, culminating in the Nordic Modernism of David Carr’s Town House (a 1937 competition winner, but not finished until 1956). Current conservation issues will be highlighted in the contrasting fates of buildings by Kirkcaldy’s leading Edwardian architects, William Williamson and John Swanston.

Meet at the War Memorial, in front of the Museum and Gallery, at 1.00 pm. There is a cafe in the Museum and Gallery, and plentiful parking on the other (north) side of the railway station. Be prepared for a short bus journey.

Cost: £10.00.

Contact the National Office to book: 0131 557 0019
Cheques payable to AHSS. Can bring cheque or cash to event.
Digital payments to: name ‐ AHSS TEFG; sortcode ‐ 80‐73‐31; account ‐ 00151935; reference ‐ your name.

More AHSS TEF Group events to come soon – but also check the AHSS website for other groups’ outings: this year they are including Dundee, Angus, Fife and Kinross-shire visits.