Visit to Quarriers Village & Windyhill
Join us for a group study day at Quarriers Village, established in 1878, and Windyhill,
a home by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
Venue: Quarriers Village, Bridge of Weir & Windyhill, Kilmacolm
Cost: £30.00 per person (£25 for under 18s accompanied by an adult) to include Quarriers tour, entry to Windyhill and light lunch at Three Sisters Bake.
Quarriers Village was established in 1878 by William Quarrier, a successful shoe merchant, and was made up of three farms on land near Bridge of Weir. By 1888, some 19 Homes known as Cottages had been built. Mount Zion Church and Nittingshill Cemetery were opened in 1888, some ten years after the establishment of the Village. William Quarrier and many of his family are buried here along with staff, families and those supported when the organisation was known as the Orphan Homes of Scotland and then Quarriers’ Homes.
We will be having a guided walking tour of the village followed by a light lunch in the Three Sisters Bake cafe situated in the Sommerville Weir Hall—the first building to be constructed in the village.
Windyhill was commissioned in 1900 from Charles Rennie Mackintosh by William Davidson, a friend and patron of the architect. In addition to the house, Mackintosh with his wife, Margaret Macdonald designed the décor, furnishings and fittings. We are delighted that the owner, David Cairns—who has painstakingly restored the house—has offered us this rare chance to see inside a Mackintosh villa still in private hands.
Numbers the house can accommodate are limited, so book soon!
Photo by David CairnsBACK