The AHSS has its origins in the campaigning group formed in 1956 in response to the threatened demolition of Edinburgh’s George Square.
First known as the Georgian Group of Edinburgh, it has since widened its scope and now dedicates itself to the protection, study and appreciation of buildings from all architectural periods, across the whole of Scotland.
Read our founder, Eleanor Robertson’s memories of the first 20 years of the AHSS, here.
In 2014 the Society moved our National Office to new accommodation at 15 Rutland Square, Edinburgh, with the Royal Incorporation of Architects Scotland. We are delighted to have settled in Sir Robert Rowand Anderson’s former home and hope to be here for the foreseeable future. Visitors are very welcome at any time, but do be warned that we are located at the top of three flights of stairs!